Epsom salt has been used since ancient times. In fact, there are a number of people using the salt for detoxifying the body, household cleaning, and even gardening. Moreover, Epsom salt is easily available and cheap option to successfully detoxify your body.
Epsom salt actually derives its name from a bitter saline spring found in Epsom, a town in England. Furthermore, Epsom salt is a pure mineral compound that consists of magnesium and sulfate. Namely, these 2 naturally occurring minerals present in Epsom Salt have extremely potent therapeutic effects, so that they help in the process of total body detoxification.
How Does an Epsom Salt Bath Detoxify the Body?
Magnesium and sulfate can be easily absorbed through the skin. That’s not all, they can be also absorbed into the blood stream.
Namely, there are numerous pores in the skin surface, which can absorb minerals and remove toxins. In addition,taking an Epsom salt bath eliminates any harmful toxins from the body, while absorbing the magnesium and sulfates into the body.
To explain you more deeply, magnesium is an essential mineral responsible for the functioning of over 325 enzymes, nerves and muscles. Also, this mineral lowers inflammation and enhances blood and oxygen flow throughout the body. On the other hand, sulfates are responsible for maintaining healthy nervous tissue, skin and joints. As Epsom salt is abundant in these 2 essential minerals, it can provide the body with the needed amounts of magnesium and sulfates. In this way, the body could get rid of any harmful toxins as well as build key protein molecules in the joints and brain tissue.
What’s more, it has been found that taking Epsom salt baths regularly reduces the symptoms of gout, sprains, muscle soreness, toenail fungus, athlete’s foot, and bruises. Plus, chronic pain and chronic disease sufferers should also take Epsom baths regularly in order to reduce the inflammation and detoxify their bodies. The regular use of these baths can lower the pain and reduce the symptoms of almost any chronic condition.
Here Is How to Prepare an Epsom Salt Bath:
Start by filling up the bath with warm water. But, make sure that there is a water filtration system in the house because you should not use tap water loaded with toxic chlorine, dioxins, fluoride, and heavy metals. Next, it is recommended to add the following amounts of Epsom salt in your bath water:
- Children who are under 60 lbs should add half a cup of Epsom salt to a standard size bath;
- Those between 60-100 lbs should add a cup of the salt to a standard size bath;
- Those between 100-150 lbs should add one and a half cup of the salt to a standard size bath;
- Those between 150-200 lbs should add two cups of the salt to a standard size bath;
- For each 50lbs, you should add in an additional half a cup of the salt.
Finally, soak yourself in the bath water for about 40 minutes because your body needs 20 minutes to eliminate the toxins, and it needs the other 20 minutes to absorb the minerals from the bath water.
- You can also add half a cup of olive oil in your bath water since the oil is rich in polyphenols that can provide your skin with excellent antioxidant benefits.
- Or consider adding a tbsp to half a cup of cayenne pepper or ginger to your bath water. Moreover, they can elevate your heat levels, thus helping your body sweat out any toxins.
- It is not recommended to add soap in your Epsom salt bath, since it negatively affects the detoxification process and mineral absorption.
- It is advisable to rest for about an hour or two after taking the bath. However, in case you suffer from arthritis, you should stay active in order to prevent congestion in your joints.